Friday, June 15, 2012

Panic! The Burro Needs a New Derailleur

Took the burro in for its 200 mile tune and it needs a new front derailleur. The local bike shop did not tell me this right away, only after a couple days when I called and said- hey, where's my bike homies? They said with not a lot of sureness the part would probably be in tomorrow and maybe the bike would be ready Monday. THE FREAKIN' DAY BEFORE MY RIDE! Ack! I was in a panic! I started to pitch into a pissed off funk and was quite worried the bike may not be good to go. I started to brain storm if they did not get the derailleur, I could just use the back gears and not shift the front. But, what a pain. I also thought, I could use the Seven if I could get a rack to go on her pretty little frame. My confidence in a successful trip was quickly eroding. Later that day, I called the LBS back and asked for a better picture of what will be done to ensure I have the bike, no later than Monday. They seemed a bit more confident that either Saturday or no later than Monday would be doable - depending on what time UPS delivers the part today.. So today, after a tough day yesterday and some encouraging words form my S.O. last night - I think things will be OK.

Ok, time to get sappy. There are a lot of hurdles and roadblocks and pitfalls in a training program and lead up to a BIG EVENT. Sometimes failure just seems a pedal stroke away. You can get sick, your mind plays defeatist head games on you, life get's in the way, you loose motivation etc. There will be set backs I have learned and you have to get right back on the saddle and keep moving. I'm keeping my fingers crossed today!

No comments:

Post a Comment