Sunday, June 10, 2012

DONE! Flying Wheels Century / Official end of training for the 2012 Cascade Traverse By-Pedal Expedition to Save the Endangered Human Folly



Holy suffering slogger Batman, its all over but the Traverse!

Yesterday was the capstone of long, grueling training regime. Did the Flying Wheels Century! Not just did it - but killed it. Felt exceptionally strong and was able to do it in just slightly over six hours (6:03) and for me I was happy with this time. It has about 3800 feet of climbing and on the final set of hills (yes, placed diabolically near the end) I felt in good shape.

It's a large ride with 2000 -3000 folks hammering out the three different courses (25, 60 and 100 miles). So this brings with it some interesting things on the road.

1. Mile 8, on a steep downhill, a fellow rider went off the road when he hit a big pot hole. He was tossed into the deep grass along the road drainage and there were two guys attending to him. Paramedics had just arrived. This is a really steep hill and people tend to hum down the thing.

2. Lots of cars honking their horns as the ride went along. Its tough to get around so many cyclists - so I understand, but there were seemingly too many instances of horns blaring. Hose off you honkers!

3. I guy in a big diesel pickup, traveling IN THE OPPOSITE direction on a two lane road, holding his hand out the window, proudly displaying the middle finger at us. I could see him in my mirror and he just kept flipping us off as he went down the road. WTF?

4. Snohomish County vehicle parked off the road at a stop sign, jammed with cyclists and cars, and he was taking pictures of the cyclists running the stop sign. I saw this unfolding as I came up to the intersection and I did stop, but others blew by. This gentleman was yelling at cyclists to stop. He was pretty fired up.

5. Sheriff writing tickets to bikes running stop signs and red lights.

6. A guy at a rest stop and I noticed he road a Seven as well. Nice. I looked closer, chomping on my Power Bar and he has the exact same seat I have. My seat nothing fancy and really no befitting of a Seven. Its about ten years old, off of a couple of my prior bikes and if fits me and is comfortable. The guy said the same thing.


As I mentioned, I felt strong and this means not only having endurance and strength, but I did not have some of the pesky issues that can plague me on longer rides such as tightening lower back, shoulders just kind of give away and left hip pain (likely illiotibial band issues). But I have been working hard in the gym on core, shoulders and chest strength. I think its working!

The day was overcast and rather cool - but no rain. I decided to put my fenders on the night before, showers were forcasted and I did not want to deal with a soggy ass for 100 miles.

Lastly- a tip to the not so wise... I do-not recommend attending a Texas Holdem party post century ride. Somehow this does not fit in very well in that crucial recovery phase of 6-8 hours after your ride. Too much booze, stayed out too late. Best to stay in and watch an old cycling movie, like Breaking Away!


So what does this all mean now you ask?

Time to look forward and get ready for my 2012 Cascade Traverse By-Pedal Expedition to Save the Endangered Human Folly. It is 8 days away. Time to assemble the gear, ready the bike, check the itinerary and TRY to keep the nerves at bay.

Time for some pics:

Flying Wheels Route




This photo depicts the chaos that can befall a person all hyped up on nerves and adrenalin as they unload the car and is getting ready for the ride at 7 a.m. Yep, those are my sunglasses. On the way over to the ride start, I was driving the Jeep and had a ball cap on with the sunglasses perched on top. I was a bit warm, so I whipped the hat off and placed it on the seat next to me. I heard a peculiar sound in the back of the jeep, where my bike and gear were and I thought what the heck was that? Oh... my glasses had flown off my head into the cargo area. No worries I thought. I'll find them when I unload. Well, I could not find them anywhere. I tore the Jeep apart, front and back. No glasses. I really started to get tweaked and its one of those moments, "I know they are here somewhere - they did not just fuckin' disapear" pissed off moments!! Well, I stepped back and thought, since I unloaded the bike right when I got here - could they somehow be tangled in the bike. I walked around the side of the Jeep, looked at bike and BINGO! There they were.


You really know you are starting to be an older, dorky rider when you bring special bungie cords with you to secure your extra gear to your waterpack!!


Proof!


Sealing the Deal - I need 100! from Scott McKibbin on Vimeo.



And Jen had a nice congratulatory surprise when I came home - flowers, a card and a special beer I love! Love her!


No comments:

Post a Comment