Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day Four Done / the 2012 Cascade Traverse By-Pedal Expedition to Save Human Folly is DONE!

It's all done!




Day four wrapped it up and placed a nice yellow (maillot jaune!) bow on the whole tour. The day included 66 miles, 4500 feet of climbing, one mountain pass, apple orchards and rivers down low, pines and peaks up high. I was happy with my performance. The pass was tough. It basically started climbing at mile 18 and did not stop until mile 39. When I say did not stop, I mean no downhill sections, just a long sustained uphill climb. It was a beautiful road with good shoulders. About half way up a group of four road bikes passed me and it seemed like they were flying. I felt a little dorky on my loaded down touring bike as my brethren went by! But hey, they didn't have a mug of coffee with them like I did that I could drink from whenever I wanted. Yah take that you roadies! The weather was over cast with dark clouds and a threat of rain. It was on the cool side to. Once I rolled over the top of the pass and headed down to Cle Elum, the clouds got really ominous. I was in touch with my support crew (Jen and Luna) by cell and Jen said Snoqualmie pass was a freaking mess with hail, thunder and lightning! I thought I better get a move on it since it looked like it was coming my way. I only had 10 miles to go and at about mile seven, the skies gave way and dropped a ton of rain on me with thunder and lightning to boot. I was not going to pull over and put my rain gear on since I only had a few miles more. But those miles just soaked me to the bone. As soon as I got into Cle Elum, I hit the Cle Elum bakery and had some warm coffee and a Danish. Then a few minutes later, Jen rolled up and that was the end!

 

 

In a few days, when I have a normal computer and keyboard, I'll post a final recap of the tour. Stay tuned.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment