Monday, April 23, 2012

What happens when the tires wear thin?

What happens when we can't do what we want to do anymore? What happens when we can't do what we love anymore? Old-er age has set in. Or perhaps an injury? It happens to us all. Eventually, you wake up one day and realize you're not the person (athlete, artist, business person, lawyer, professor, mother, father) that you used to be. What happens when we have to accept that we are changing? Where is the user's manual for aging?

My training, this season, is decidedly different from the one a few years back. Heck, I thought I could go out and hammer the pedals into submission - just like I did back in 2011 and 2010 and 2009 and 2008. A year later, is a year later. Takes longer to do (50 miles), takes longer to un-do (that long ride recovery pain).

If you put into the Google-izer "exercise slows aging", you'll get 9,940 results. Not too shabby. So in that regard, I'm doing what I am supposed to do to slow the cadence of time. Still... I gotta get it right... To have the proper attitude as I age. Our dog Luna is getting older, grayer. But somehow, her attitude never changes - she is always happy. She must know something I don't know.










No comments:

Post a Comment