Sunday, April 8, 2012

Slicker Than Shit Through a Tin Horn

That is one of my Dad's sayings. Some how, perhaps by osmosis or just plain genetics, my Dad gave to me and his other progeny, what I would consider some old, faraway language. Mid 20th century Iowan. I'm not exactly sure what the saying means. I think it is just a way of punctuating something 'really cool'. I just say it, I don't really think what I am saying really. But, I like it.

Fast forward to the early 21st century and the age of the I-phone. I just bought a new phone and opted for the I-phone. Wow, tis so much more than a stinking phone. I quickly downloaded some apps.

Part of my training is the concept of intervals. Most probably know what these are, but if you don't, these are bursts of high-intensity work interspersed with periods of low-intensity work. And they hurt. Anyway, the key to these is set intervals of time (and intensity) and they can get a bit complicated to manage during a work out. Enter the UltraTrainer app. All you do is punch in some intervals, hit start and away it goes - counting time for you. Here is a pick of my I-phone displaying the warm up interval.




Here is the high intensity interval. SS 8" is a steady state interval for 8 minutes at 92-97% of  TT heart rate.




And here is the rest interval.




These were done 3x. Total looked like this:

Warm up: 15min

Steady State: 8 min
Rest: 4 min

Steady State: 8 min
Rest: 4 min

Steady State: 8 min
Rest: 4 min

Cool down: 10 min

The intervals are fully programmable and you can pick a myriad of the I-phone sounds to indicate the transition to the next interval. You can even choose the background color of each interval. How cool is that? Very cool. This App was a silly $2.99 and is truly slicker than shit though a tin horn! Thanks Dad!



No comments:

Post a Comment