Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mountain Biking in Sedona

Let me start with the premise bicycling is fun. Right? Now, hang with me alright? I have written about this idea in this blog - um, not specifically I suppose, but have certainly insinuated that... by God, this silly, almost perfect machine that moves one, is quintessentially fun. Plain and simple. Now, if you take this simple, blissful, meditative, therapeutic, giddy, physical motion state and do it on the dirt - oh my.

Had the opportunity while on vacation recently to do dust off my mountain bike skills. Jen and I met some family in Sedona, AZ for Thanksgiving week. This is what they call Red Rock country. I have ridden mountain bikes since 1981 when I got an original 1981 Specialized Stumpjumper. I was living in Vacaville, Ca about 30 miles from Marin county, the primordial epicenter of the genesis of the hallowed Mountain Bike. Say it... Mountain Bike. Feels good. I'm gonna go ride my Mountain Bike on that there mountain and be a mountain bike man.

Tuesday arrived, two days before Turkey day and it was off to ride the Red Rocks by our vulcanized knobbies and buzzing, pent up excitement. Yee haw!

I went with my brother-in-law, Dave and the S.O. Our plan was a 2-3 hours on the local trails, Dave guidin', me and Jen following.

We spent almost five hours boppin' and bombin' around the Red Rocks. We started on Bell Rock Pathway, went up Little Horse Trail to Chicken Point and then on Broken Arrow back to town.

It had been a while since I mountain biked and I was thrilled to be doing it with my side kick. Jen did awesome and I was so proud of her. I'm like yah babe... now it's time to get us some mountain bikes! Of course, I'm always looking for another excuse to get another bike.

So Sedona is beyond belief. The vistas, the mountain biking, the desert... um yah, upper 60s weather (Seattle had record rains while we were gone) - a great place to see!




Me, Jen and Dave.






















1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that important information, its really helpful.

    mountain biking blog

    ReplyDelete